Saturday, August 28, 2010

Are You Diabetic?

Then next morning after the surgery I awoke and first thing I needed was to use the bathroom. I threw back the covers and swing around to the bedside and put my foot down and started to walk to the bathroom. I took one step and fell flat on my face. I forgot my right foot was gone. It had been there for 59 years and I was used to walking where I needed to go. A nurse ran into the room because of the noise my fall had made and she was mad and told me in no uncertain terms that if I needed help to call first. I guess it was not funny at the time but as I look back I have to laugh, I just forgot my foot was no longer there. I was in the hospital a total of ten days. It took over two months for the stump to heal and on Dec. 23, 2001 I finally got my first prosthesis. It was quite a day, to beable to walk out of the doctor's office almost like normal. Due to weight loss and shrinking over time I have had a total of 5 legs built and I have to say I really appreciate the VA Hospital and all the doctors who have been a great help to me over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment